Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does TOTAL CITY in box 20 mean?

I received 3 W2s from my employer. The only different are the amounts in box 19 and the locality in box 20. I understand, but one of them says TOTAL CITY. Should I use this W2 only?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanH

Ignore the W-2 that only says TOTAL CITY. When you have different cities listed on your W-2, you have each city listed separately and then a total page. You should enter the individual city amounts separately. The one that says Total City reports the total of all city withholding on your W-2 and can be ignored.

Since the 3 W-2's show the same amount in the other boxes, make sure you only report those amounts once. There is room to enter the additional city information at the bottom of the W-2 entry screen.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SusanH

Ignore the W-2 that only says TOTAL CITY. When you have different cities listed on your W-2, you have each city listed separately and then a total page. You should enter the individual city amounts separately. The one that says Total City reports the total of all city withholding on your W-2 and can be ignored.

Since the 3 W-2's show the same amount in the other boxes, make sure you only report those amounts once. There is room to enter the additional city information at the bottom of the W-2 entry screen.

Ok, I only have 2 copies of w-2's the city local copy and the federal copy that says Total City.  The 19 box have different amounts. Was I suppose to enter both these amounts? I already sent my taxes so I think I messed this part up. Also what exactly is sd-100?
SusanH

If you had a total City that has a different number than the number in Box 19 on the other page/W-2, you may be missing a page of your W-2's. It's supposed to be City A + City B = Total City. So if your Total City is a larger number than City A and that's all you have then chances are you're missing the part of your W-2 showing City B. You may wish to contact your employer and ask them about it.

With little information to go on, my best guess is that the SD-100 is your Ohio School District Tax form. I'm not 100% on this as there could be other SD-100 forms out there.

Now that you mention it the city local w2 has 2 cities on it that equals the Total City amount. My issue is I think I just put Total City in box 20 on my return, is that going to effect anything?
SusanH

It's hard to tell. If you had a split on your city withholding then that means part of your income was in/for City A ad the other part for City B. It would have affected your either your state and/or your city taxes depending on where you live and how they handle local taxes. You'll need to review your state/city returns to determine whether or not you'll need to amend them. If you have additional questions about how to deal with the change/correction of your city tax, please post a new question.

Ok, Thank You so much! Next time I do my taxes or amend anything I'll take my time and do research first.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies