Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I depreciated items via Section 179 in previous years, do I still have to list these as "assets" this year since they're still technically "in use" or can I omit them?

(I realize there is nothing to be gained from a taxation standpoint by listing these, but I want to make sure that I am "reporting" everything that I am supposed to be reporting.)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If I depreciated items via Section 179 in previous years, do I still have to list these as "assets" this year since they're still technically "in use" or can I omit them?

Keep the assets in your return -- do not delete them.  You will need the information in case you dispose of the assets in the future and you need to deal with recapture of depreciation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Keep the assets in your return -- do not delete them.  You will need the information in case you dispose of the assets in the future and you need to deal with recapture of depreciation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies