Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trymene1

I was asked if my business was an SSTB and I mistakenly chose yes. How do I change this to no?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I was asked if my business was an SSTB and I mistakenly chose yes. How do I change this to no?

Make sure that you are logged in and have the tax return open.  In the Search box, type QBI and on the "Jump to qbi".  See below.

An specified service trade or business (SSTB) is a trade or business involving the performance of services in the fields of health, law, accounting, actuarial science, performing arts, consulting, athletics, financial services, investing and investment management, trading, dealing in certain assets or any trade or business.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
trymene1

I do that and I'm told I qualify for the QBI deduction. I click continue and the window just reloads. If I open Dev tools and look at the console log it's showing some invalid configuration properties

Config: Invalid property 2.71454ed3ec944229ef29826bd4d9.js:2

logLocal seems to be the invalid config key

I also see this in the console log

TTO: Resetting data to an empty model.; component=FuegoJS; version=; viewId=; verBC=8.8.1; verTTO=7.0.8 null

marciw
Returning Member

These instructions are for TurboTax Online. How do I change my SSTB answer in the Mac download Home & Business product?

I have changed it in the form but the EasyStep doesn't match what I did in the form. 

marciw
Returning Member

Just to clarify, even though I changed the form to say NO, my business is not an SSTB, I still see this in the EasyStep summary: "Based on what you've told us, it looks like you don't qualify for this deduction."

How do I change "what you've told us" -- how do I get the question to appear again in EasyStep?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try deleting the form 8995 in the forms view to break the connections and then clicking through the schedule C interview in the step-by-step view again. At the end of the schedule C questions you should arrive at the QBI questions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HJQ
Level 1

I have the same issue. I errantly marked yes to being a SSTB.  I have tried all of the steps suggested here, and it still will not let me change that designation. What else should I do? I'd hate for a Turbo Tax system glitch to be the reason I lose a valuable deduction. 

Hey there -- did you ever figure this out?

Karin

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies