turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VAnnH

I own my own company (LLC). I have no employees. I just opened a solo 401K and do not have a W2. Where do I input my contributions with turbotax?

Do I need to set up a payroll and give myself a W2 to do this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VAnnH

I own my own company (LLC). I have no employees. I just opened a solo 401K and do not have a W2. Where do I input my contributions with turbotax?

I found it. It was under Income & Expenses -> Other Business Situations -> Self-Employed Retirement Plans. 🙂

@VAnnH 

Great. Just to note, if you are a sole proprietorship, you are treated as a disregarded entity and you can’t pay yourself on a W-2, it’s simply not allowed.  To pay yourself on a W-2, you would first have to register as an LLC, and then send the IRS a form to elect to be taxed as an S corporation. All shareholders of an S corporation must be employees first and receive a W-2 if they perform material services for the corporation. However, forming yourself into an S corporation has a lot of complicated ups and downs and you should never do that without professional advice.

VAnnH

Thanks for the info Opus 17!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies