turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k2allar
Returning Member

Does Turbotax Business prompt me to enter distributions from an S Corp and handle them appropriately?

I know distributions are taxed differently than income, and I'm wondering if the Business package can handle them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does Turbotax Business prompt me to enter distributions from an S Corp and handle them appropriately?

" I'm wondering if the Business package deals with distributions at all."

Indeed it does in the interview section (see screenshots below) which, in turn, is reported on the appropriate forms.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The TT Business edition will prepare the 1120S tax return and the K-1s needed to be provided to each owner of the S-corp.  The K-1 is used by each owner to input into their individual 1040 tax returns.  TT Business does NOT prepare a 1040 return.
k2allar
Returning Member

Right, but the distribution has to be analyzed against the shareholder's stock basis, which doesn't appear anywhere on the 1120S or K-1, so I'm wondering if the Business package deals with distributions at all.

its not done correctly at all in TT--it only prints line 17 supplement 199A not a K-1

" I'm wondering if the Business package deals with distributions at all."

Indeed it does in the interview section (see screenshots below) which, in turn, is reported on the appropriate forms.

k2allar
Returning Member

Thanks, Tag Team - that's just what I needed!  Appreciate your time and assistance.

You are most welcome.

The TT Business edition can complete an S-corp return in full correctly. However, if you have never completed an 1120S form then you may want to seek professional assistance to do the first one and get educated.
k2allar
Returning Member

Thanks Critter, have you taken a distribution using the Business edition?

Buy the package and go through the dialogs. If it doesn't make sense, come back here.
But I don't see many questions on the Business edition on this forum.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies