Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm using Self Employed and it's asking me who my "payer" is. I don't have a payer. I own a business with employees. Should I put my business as my "payer"?

Should I be using "self employed" or is there an option for a sole proprietor with employees?  I'm confused.  
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm using Self Employed and it's asking me who my "payer" is. I don't have a payer. I own a business with employees. Should I put my business as my "payer"?

Where are you in the program ?   Are you trying to enter a W-2 form for yourself from your own Sch C business ?

In the Sch C income section there are different screens ... you can skip the 1099-NEC section and simply enter the total income from all sources in the next section ...

Sch C  income screen.PNG

TomD8
Level 15

To add to @Critter-3 's answer:

If you are a self-employed sole proprietor, you do not issue a 1099 or W2 to yourself.   You enter your sole proprietor business's income & expenses on Schedule C of your tax return.

If your business hires independent contractors or subcontractors and pays them $600 or more for the year, then you issue a 1099-NEC to them.  You enter those payments on Line 11 of your Schedule C.

If your business has employees, then you issue a W-2 to them and report their wages on Line 26 of your Schedule C.    Note that if you have employees, then you must obtain an EIN for your sole proprietorship.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-an-ein

This IRS reference explains the difference between independent contractors and employees:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-self-employed-o...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies