Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm in the beginning stages of starting a business. I've spent roughly $25,000 in business plans, investors deck, patenting and prototyping, do i get anything back?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I'm in the beginning stages of starting a business. I've spent roughly $25,000 in business plans, investors deck, patenting and prototyping, do i get anything back?

No. The IRS does not pay you to start a business. What you have is referred to as "startup costs". You will claim your startup costs in the tax year you are first "open for business". It does not matter in what year those startup costs were incurred either. So if you will not be "open for business" before Dec 31, 2016, you have nothing what-so-ever to report or claim on your 2016 return concerning this business. Just save all your receipts, documentation and paperwork so you can claim your startup costs on your 2017 tax return when you file it.

Also, if you have never had your own business or been self-employed before, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you seek the services of a certified, qualified, licensed CPA in your local jurisdiction for your first year of business. Doing things wrong tax-wise in your first year of business WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU 24-36 months down the road. The IRS files, penalties and late fees can easily bankrupt your business before it even gets off the ground. The cost for the services of a CPA that first year is really a pittance compared to the what the IRS will charge you for doing things wrong... and the IRS doesn't take "OOPS!" as an excuse to not pay your fines, penalties and late fees either.

After getting things started and off on the right foot with a CPA that first year, then if you're comfortable and your CPA is any good, you should be able to take care of the taxes yourself in the years following your opening year..

Carl
Level 15

Also, if I may ask, what is the nature of the business? Maybe I or someone else can offer you things to look out for if they know.

@Carl don't start up costs have to be amortized?
Carl
Level 15

yes. But instead of getting into all those details at this point, let's see when they're open for business. If not in 2016, then there's no need to deal with that now. Besides, the program does specifically ask for start-up costs in the first year of filing, and it handles that amortization stuff in the background.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies