Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a Musician and purchased a new instrument this year. It should be entered in the schedule C form 4562 but I can't find how to enter it. PLEASE HELP!!!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I'm a Musician and purchased a new instrument this year. It should be entered in the schedule C form 4562 but I can't find how to enter it. PLEASE HELP!!!!

If you are a W-2 employee then none of your W-2 related expenses are deductible on the federal return. Period.

If you are a self-employed musician that reports business income/expenses on SCH C, then your instrument purchase is a business asset. It gets entered in the Business assets section, classified as equipment and depreciated over 7 years. In TurboTax you'd select Tools, Equipment, Machinery, Furniture, then General Purpose Tools, Machinery & Equipment.

If the program offers you the SEC 179 deduction and/or the special depreciation allowance, then take it *ONLY* if your business as the *taxable* income from which to claim it against. (Otherwise, it's a waste of your time and will make no difference in your tax liability.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies