turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I hired a life coach who helped me with my business and upgrading my life in general. Is this deductable as a Schedule C expense? If yes, are there any requirements?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I hired a life coach who helped me with my business and upgrading my life in general. Is this deductable as a Schedule C expense? If yes, are there any requirements?

Yes, your consulting expense is deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense.

Your only requirement is to be able to document the expense in the event of an audit although you may be asked to apportion the expense between business and personal consulting.

The expense should be entered in the Legal and Professional Fees category

clstallard
Returning Member

If you have more than one business and you hired the same coach for the second business, can you deduct both consulting fees?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can. If you are sent only a single bill by the consultant, make sure you apportioned it between the two businesses. Better still, you can get the consultant to send you two separate invoices for the two businesses. Make sure you keep all documentation in the even of an audit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies