I have an 1120S K-1 with qualified business income. I upgraded to Home & Business and still cannot get the QBI deduction to appear on Form 1040. Why?

Did you enter the 199A Code(s) and $$ in the K-1 Box 17? You also have to link the K-1 to a QBI Component Wks. Step-by-Step guides you through all of that.

Thanks Terry.  I did not notice the drop down menu items in box 17.  About to turn 80 and not as sharp as I used to be.  Director of Corporate Taxes for Mattel MANY years ago.

I also have an Sub S consulting firm with all the income being qualified business income. I started the business last year and it had a small loss. I didn't purchase TT business because it's not that complicated of a return. This year I made a profit(< $60,000) and I know to pay myself some wages. A majority of my expenses are travel, postage and supplies so the return is easy to prepare income and expense wise. I did make estimated payments on the income. I have no other crazy adjustments for the QBI like real estate.

My question revolves around the preparation of the K-1 for myself as the only shareholder. I will report  line 1 ordinary income from line 21 of the 1120S. My question is:  how do I determine what code to use on line 17? It seems according to the IRS publication that code V is a catch all for the qbi at line 1 and I should enter 20% of that number in line 17.

thanks,
pm

I have an 1120S K-1 with qualified business income. I upgraded to Home &amp; Business and still cannot get the QBI deduction to appear on Form 1040. Why?

QBI is a complicated calculation and if it turns out to be the same amount as the 1120S K-1 line 1 then probably the business is REALLY simple or it's a fantastic coincidence. In any case, Box 17 Code V is the total QBI *Income* of the business, not the 20% deduction amount for individuals. The deduction is computed separately by each shareholder based on their own return data.

That makes sense. It's REALLY REALLY simple return and other than the 50% limitation on meals.

Answered in comments