Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tct

I have agreed to contribute my own artist-created paintings to a gallery's fundraiser. Buyers' are limited to $200 artwork but my work has been selling for $1000-1500.

I have agreed to contribute my own self-created paintings to a gallery's fundraiser. The buyers' are limited to $200 for each purchase of artwork, but my work has been selling for $1000-1500. The gallery is a private charitable art association.   Am I entitled to deduct anything other that the cost of the materials

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have agreed to contribute my own artist-created paintings to a gallery's fundraiser. Buyers' are limited to $200 artwork but my work has been selling for $1000-1500.

No. When you donate anything that you made yourself, including works of art, you can only deduct your actual cost, i.e. the cost of the materials. The market value or the amount that someone pays for it doesn't matter.

No.  

Or, you can deduct the retail value only if you also include the retail value in your business income.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies