turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

covie85

I cannot file. Turbo tax is missing Form 8606T and 8606S. What is the deal? It is February 14 already....and still missing forms?

Yep! It’s working!!! Just filed mine, too!!!
dpklees

I cannot file. Turbo tax is missing Form 8606T and 8606S. What is the deal? It is February 14 already....and still missing forms?

I'm happy for those who've been able to file their returns, but of a short time ago IRS form 8606-T is not available for my desktop copy of Deluxe despite numerous attempts to update the program. This wouldn't be quite as annoying had Intuit not sent me an e-mail yesterday (2/21/18) telling me that this specific form was ready. This led to a lengthy call with their well-meaning but ultimately not very helpful support team. Intuit either has a technical issue, a service issue or a combination of both. I'm not sure which is worse, and I'm starting not to care.

@dpklees - The 8606 is available and has been for some time.   What type of software are you using - Mac or Windows?

Verify that you have the latest release:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899272-verify-turbotax-2017-for-windows-basic-deluxe-premier-or-h...>

The latest Mac version is 2017.r16.082 Build date Feb 21, 2018, 4:15:22 PM

If not you need to update.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dpklees

I'm using Mac and installed a substantial update last night. Additionally, I did a fresh download (plus an update of about 184MB) while on the phone with TT support earlier this morning.
dpklees

Double-checking my system, I've got 2017.r16.082 with a build date of 2/22/18 at 9:09:22 AM.

Are you still having a problem with the 8606 form?   If so exactly what is it?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dpklees

The program tells me that 8606-T is not yet available (in the past week it's gone from a 2/15/18 date to "available soon"). Consequently, it will not let me e-file either my federal or state return. I've spent well over an hour on the phone with TT's support team to no good purpose.

That makes me think that there is an issue in the Applications Support folder where the form updates are stored.   I suggest that a *total* uninstall of TurboTax and *all* of the support files and a re-install will solve this issue.    This usually corrects issues such as yours.   It is much easier to just uninstall everything that to try to trouble-shoot and isolate the problem to a particular file of preference file which could be very time consuming.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.   To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled.  If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/...>
dpklees

In that scenario, would I need to start from scratch or do you think it's safe to use the existing return?
dpklees

And thank you for your input, I should have said so earlier.

BTW: What are yiu entering that requires the 8606 form?     Is it in the interview for entering a 1099-R that you get that message?

Yes, that does not affect the name.tax2017 tax data file.   The tax file should be fine.   That only give the TurboTax software a fresh start.
dpklees

A non-taxable IRA disbursement.

After uninstalling and reinstalling that should work fine.   Just enter the 1099-R in the 10999-R section and answer the followup question s after the 1099-R summary screen that asks for your prior year non-deductible basis (if it does not auto-fill form transferring 2016 carryover data) and then enter the 2017 year end Traditional IRA total value.  That will produce a new 8606 form with the taxable calculations on lines 6-15 and the new carry forward basis on line 14.  

This works fine in TurboTax and I have done exactly that many times for testing various scenarios.

I am not exactly sure when, but 8606T and 8606S eventually showed up when I updated.  I think somewhere around 2/16/18.  I was able to file and when I moved from step to step to forms, both were there and populated.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies