Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WD-AL

I am a partner in a business and have a loan used to purchase shares. Can I deduct the interest on the loan?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a partner in a business and have a loan used to purchase shares. Can I deduct the interest on the loan?

Here's some information from nolo.com at:
   http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deducting-business-related-interest-loan-payments.html

"Loans to Buy a Business
If you borrow money to buy an interest in an S corporation, partnership, or LLC, it’s wise to seek an accountant’s help to figure out how to deduct the interest on your loan. It must be allocated among the company’s assets and, depending on what assets the business owns, the interest might be deductible either as a business expense or as an investment expense, which is more limited. Interest on money you borrow to buy stock in a C corporation is always treated as investment interest. This is true even if the corporation is small (also called closely held) and its stock is not publicly traded."

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Here's some information from nolo.com at:
   http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deducting-business-related-interest-loan-payments.html

"Loans to Buy a Business
If you borrow money to buy an interest in an S corporation, partnership, or LLC, it’s wise to seek an accountant’s help to figure out how to deduct the interest on your loan. It must be allocated among the company’s assets and, depending on what assets the business owns, the interest might be deductible either as a business expense or as an investment expense, which is more limited. Interest on money you borrow to buy stock in a C corporation is always treated as investment interest. This is true even if the corporation is small (also called closely held) and its stock is not publicly traded."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies