turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I properly report gains / losses for an ETF structured as a Limited Partnership where shares were bought

Based on the research I've done the proper way is as follows:

- When you import your broker 1099 statement into TT, it will automatically fill out the sales and cost price entries for your trade(s), however the K-1 that you have received includes a "worksheet" with the instructions so that you can adjust your cost basis for your original trades. Doing this will incorporate any additional profits / losses the company incurred during the timeframe that was passed through to you as the unitholder. This is the part I understand.

-The real question is what do you do regarding the K-1 filing section? This part ALSO has a section where you fill out your Sales and Cost basis prices - if you fill it out here then you will be double-stating your profits or losses. I've seen elsewhere that you should just state your sales proceeds and cost basis on the K-1 section as 0 since you have already captured all this in your adjusted cost basis on your 1099.

1 - Is this correct?
2 - If No, then what is the proper way?

Thanks in advance!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I properly report gains / losses for an ETF structured as a Limited Partnership where shares were bought

The title question was cut off:

How do I properly report gains / losses for an ETF structured as a Limited Partnership where shares were bought and sold in the same tax year and therefore the transactions all reported on your broker 1099 statement?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

You are correct. Use the K-1 to report the correct transaction details.

Regarding what was imported and now on Schedule D, adjust the cost basis to match the sales proceeds. This will bring the gain/loss reported to zero on Schedule D so that the tax is only paid once from the Schedule K-1 input.

This way, you will match the IRS forms as received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies