Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

dgalway1
Returning Member

How do I properly enter info for a taxable grant reported to my farm business (LLC, own EIN) on a 1099-G?

We received a grant for our farm business from our state SBA, not the USDA or state DA. CAn we still list it as income on our schedule F? and how do we show it as taxable on the schedule F? There is no category for taxable income.

dgalway1
Returning Member

How do I properly enter info for a taxable grant reported to my farm business (LLC, own EIN) on a 1099-G?

We received a grant for our farm business from our state SBA, not the USDA or state DA. CAn we still list it as income on our schedule F? and how do we show it as taxable on the schedule F? There is no category for taxable income.

dgalway1
Returning Member

How do we indicate the amount is taxable? There is no taxable category?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

A grant for a farm must be entered in the personal section as other income.

To enter Other Income, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Federal Taxes.
  3. Go to Wages & Income
  4. Scroll to the bottom under Less Common Income, select Start (or Update) for Miscellaneous Income.
  5. Choose the appropriate category and enter your Other Income

​​​​

The reason behind this is that the Grant cannot be counted into the Qualified Business Income Deduction, therefore cannot be included in farm income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So how do you then write off the expenses associated with the grant?  I've been told by TT and many others to, since this is associated with a farm, to include it on the schedule F ...make sure it goes on the taxable line....and then you can write off the expenses on the F.

There is a "taxable income" line on the Schedule F.   Make sure it ends up there as grants are generally taxable and TT doesn't necessarily do that for you.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is true but if you report it the way PattiF has described it above, it is not Farm income but reported as other reportable income. Be sure to follow her steps and not report this as Schedule F income because of the QBI limitation that she described.

@justlookingon

What is the concern with QBI regarding farm income?  I can't seem to find anything that states that farms are ineligible for this deduction.  Thanks.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, Farm income may be eligible for the QBI Deduction.

Click this link for details on How QBI is Calculated for Farm Income.

TurboTax asks QBI questions after you have finished entering your business income/expenses. 

@justlookingon

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies