How do I fix this error when entering Schedule K-1...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fix this error when entering Schedule K-1 (form 1065) data: "Passive Operating Loss should not be greater than the total loss"?

I entered a value for "Ordinary business income (loss)", but TruboTax never asked me for "the total loss" or where it comes from on the K-1.  Very frustrating!
5 Replies
Expert Alumni

How do I fix this error when entering Schedule K-1 (form 1065) data: "Passive Operating Loss should not be greater than the total loss"?

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2019" file to diagnose your issue.  You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions:

For TurboTax Online, click the dropdown arrow next to Tax Tools on the left menu panel, then click Tools under that.  On the Tools Center pop-up, select Share my file with Agent.  When you confirm the request, you will get a box with a token number.   Reply with the token number and I’ll be able to open a TurboTax tax return with your numbers but not your personal information.  That may help diagnose the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

I have the same error regarding my Schedule K-1: "Passive Operating Loss should not be greater than the total loss"?

TurboTax seems to have taken my carry-over loss from 2018 ($6k) as the 'Total loss'.  My rental property has now lost more money in 2019 ($8k); which is what I entered from last year's K-1. Is there something wrong with the way TurboTax is calculating what it considers 'Total loss'?

Returning Member

Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2019" file to diagnose this issue.  You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions:

For TurboTax Online, click the dropdown arrow next to Tax Tools on the left menu panel, then click Tools under that.  On the Tools Center pop-up, select Share my file with Agent.  When you confirm the request, you will get a box with a token number.   Reply with the token number and I’ll be able to open a TurboTax tax return with your numbers but not your personal information.  

For TurboTax Download/CD, on your menu bar at the very top, click “Online” and then “Send Tax File to Agent”.  When you click to send, you will get a pop-up with the token number.  

@SJuser

@jerick7532

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same issue.  My token # is 700162

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings