turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I delete state income tax on Schedule A for 2018

My property taxes are over $10,000 which is the limit deductible for state income tax and property tax deduction. I do not want to deduct state income tax paid because I don't want to be taxed on any state income tax refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Go to the sales tax interview and say to take the sales tax deduction even thought the state income tax deductions is more.  That will remove the state income tax from Schedule A line 5a

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The Form 1099-G received for 2018 still must be entered.  As it refers to a refund of taxes paid against 2017.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

Go to the sales tax interview and say to take the sales tax deduction even thought the state income tax deductions is more.  That will remove the state income tax from Schedule A line 5a

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DJFAULDS
Returning Member

What is the best way to remove the state income tax from Schedule A when filing an amended return for that year. Also, why didn't Turbotax advise not to take the non-deductible State Income Tax deduction and exclude refunds, when going through the interview process. Not very good! I have overpaid in 2018 and 2019!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies