Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get schedule A in Turbotax?

Can I talk to agent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You don't get Schedule A until you enter more itemized deductions than the Standard Deduction.   If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

For 2023 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 13,850 + 1,850 or 65 and over or blind

HOH 20,800 + 1,850 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 27,700+ 1,500 for each 65 and over or blind (both 30,700)

Married filing Separate 13,850 + 1,500 for 65 and over or blind

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Schedule A is only used for itemized deductions.  If you are using the Standard Deduction on your federal tax return there will not be a Schedule A included with your return.  Schedule A will only be included with the federal tax return if the total all itemized deductions are greater than the Standard Deduction for your filing status.

To enter itemized deductions -

Click on Federal on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Deductions & Credits

Click on show all tax breaks

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Keep in mind that some itemized deductions are limited, so the total itemized deductions on Schedule A might be less than the total amounts that you entered.

For medical expenses, the total is reduced by any reimbursements that you received, and then by 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI).

The total deduction for state and local taxes is limited to a maximum of $10,000 ($5,000 if you are married filing separately). The maximum applies to the total of real estate tax, personal property tax, and either state and local income tax or state and local sales tax.

Charitable contributions are limited to a percentage of your AGI. The percentage depends on what you contributed and the type of organization that you contributed to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies