dawalt2002

How can I complete form 4797 showing loss from form K-1 box 10. IRS states to enter property description and write From Schedule K-1 in boxes 2b-2f. Amount will go in g

Phillip1

The best solution is to upgrade TurboTax Premier. The TurboTax Premier K-1 section will report K-1 income in the proper section.

It depends on whether the K-1 is from a Form 1041, 1065, or a Form 1120S.

dawalt2002

The K-1 is from form 1065.  I do have the Home and Business version so I think I have the correct version, or at least a version "better" than premier.  There is no option for this the amount on line 10 to be transferred to a form 4797 and thus appear on my 1040.
Phillip1

Line 10 for a 1065 Schedule K-1 is for Section 1231 Gains. After you enter the amount in the TurboTax K-1 section, switch to Forms mode and look on line 2 of Part I of Form 4797. There should be an entry for "From K-1"
dawalt2002

Thanks for your response.  This amount is not showing up on Form 4797, line 2 which is what I would have expected.  I did enter all of the information correctly from the 1065 K-1 form.  Any other thoughts?
Phillip1

If this was a loss and you did not indicate that you are a material participant, the loss would be treated as a passive loss that is (suspended on Form 8582) not deductible on your return. In this situation Form 4797 is not generated. If you are not a material participant, this is likely the issue. If you are material, the box may not have been checked.
dawalt2002

Thank you again.   The material participant box is checked.  Still unsure as to why this wouldn't be populating.  I do understand that it would be a passive loss if not checked.  Just frustrated as to why this is not populating.  Again, thanks for your help.
Phillip1

The only other thing I can think of is if the partnership is showing not at risk. Check the TurboTax Form K-1 in Part II line K. If that is not it, I am stumped.
dawalt2002

Again, thanks.  I did check and it is marked as all at risk.  Stumped as well.  Thanks again.