Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

looser99

How can I change life of depreciable asset

Asset was depreciated over 5 years on last years return, but when added in Turbo tax, it shows 7 years - how can I change the asset class to match last years return?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MichaelMc

Go to Forms Mode (icon in upper left corner).

Select the Asset Entry Worksheet for the asset in question.

Scroll down to Detail Asset Information.

Under Regular Depreciation, change Line 46, Asset Class to reflect the correct useful life of the asset.

LKBFarms

Hello, when I try this method in forms mode, I am not able to change the depreciation schedule. It will not allow me to change it from 7 years to 5. Any help?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

What is the asset? Check to make sure 7 years is correct. You may need to amend 2018 to be consistent.

• 5-year property. This class includes computers and peripheral equipment, office machinery (typewriters, calculators, copiers, etc.), automobiles, and light trucks.
    This class also includes appliances, carpeting, and furniture used in a residential rental real estate activity.
    Depreciation is limited on automobiles and other property used for transportation; computers and related peripheral equipment; and property of a type generally used for entertainment, recreation, or amusement. See chapter 5 of Pub. 946.

• 7-year property. This class includes office furniture and equipment (desks, file cabinets, and similar items). This class also includes any property that does not have a class life and that has not been designated by law as being in any other class.
Carl
Level 15

For starters, if you make changes in forms mode, chances are high you will *automatically* invalidate the TurboTax 100% Accuracy Guarantee. Additionally, you will not be able to e-file. You'll be forced to print, sign and mail the return to the IRS (and to your state if applicable).

In the assets section click the "Add an Asset" button.

Select Intangibles, Other Property and continue.

Select Other asset type and continue.

Keep working it through from there and you can select your asset type and class life.

Since the asset was placed into service in a prior tax year, you'll be asked for prior years depreciation already taken. To get that amount look at the 4562 titled Amortization & Depreciation Report from the 2018 return. Add together the amounts in the prior year depr column and the current year depr column and enter that total into your 2019 return for the total of all prior years depreciation already taken in prior years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies