Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi - my partner and I started an LLC last year but used personal cards for initial business expenses. Do we report these expenses on the 1065 or individual 1040s?

We did not have a chance to open up a banking account until late in the year and had no profits with which to make initial start-up purchases, so all early expenses were incurred on personal credit/debit cards.  Are these reported on the 1065 or on our individual 1040s?  It seems to me that only expenses paid through a business card/account would be reported on a 1065 but I could be wrong.  Thanks for any guidance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Khai

Hi - my partner and I started an LLC last year but used personal cards for initial business expenses. Do we report these expenses on the 1065 or individual 1040s?

You have 2 options for reporting these expenses:

1. Have your partnership reimburse you for the expense(s) and they will be considered reimbursed expenses on the partnership side.
  2. Deduct them on your personal tax return as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). Keep in mind that this option will limit your deduction to 2% of your adjusted gross income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Khai

You have 2 options for reporting these expenses:

1. Have your partnership reimburse you for the expense(s) and they will be considered reimbursed expenses on the partnership side.
  2. Deduct them on your personal tax return as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). Keep in mind that this option will limit your deduction to 2% of your adjusted gross income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies