turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi - my partner and I started an LLC last year but used personal cards for initial business expenses. Do we report these expenses on the 1065 or individual 1040s?

We did not have a chance to open up a banking account until late in the year and had no profits with which to make initial start-up purchases, so all early expenses were incurred on personal credit/debit cards.  Are these reported on the 1065 or on our individual 1040s?  It seems to me that only expenses paid through a business card/account would be reported on a 1065 but I could be wrong.  Thanks for any guidance!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Khai

Hi - my partner and I started an LLC last year but used personal cards for initial business expenses. Do we report these expenses on the 1065 or individual 1040s?

You have 2 options for reporting these expenses:

1. Have your partnership reimburse you for the expense(s) and they will be considered reimbursed expenses on the partnership side.
  2. Deduct them on your personal tax return as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). Keep in mind that this option will limit your deduction to 2% of your adjusted gross income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Khai

You have 2 options for reporting these expenses:

1. Have your partnership reimburse you for the expense(s) and they will be considered reimbursed expenses on the partnership side.
  2. Deduct them on your personal tax return as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). Keep in mind that this option will limit your deduction to 2% of your adjusted gross income.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies