Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bill180

Have existing software business. Last year I added a food truck as a DBA. Should I file a separate Schedule C for the food truck, or lump into single Schedule C?

So food truck is Software Business DBA Food Truck Name.  Asking whether I should / can split the reporting into separate Schedule Cs or if both should be under the same Schedule C.  
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Have existing software business. Last year I added a food truck as a DBA. Should I file a separate Schedule C for the food truck, or lump into single Schedule C?

A food truck business and a software business should be reported separately on two different Schedule Cs.  

If the products or services of the two businesses were more closely related, then they could be on a single Schedule C.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bill180

Thank you Annette!  

So to be sure - even though the software business and food truck are under the same EIN (food truck is as a DBA) they should still be split out into 2 Schedule Cs.  Correct?

If this is how I should proceed, the only wrinkle is my vehicle which I use for both my software business and food truck business.  Do I just enter the vehicle twice, once under each Schedule C?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you cannot combine the two businesses on a single Schedule C because there are completely different businesses.

You would enter your vehicle information on each Schedule C in order to be able to take the expenses.

@bill180 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bill180

Thank you Patti!  Makes sense and I prefer to do it this way, and hopefully doing it like this paints a clearer picture for the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies