Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adam122021
Returning Member

Form 1065 Business Interest Expense

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out where to put interest from a business credit card and the accrued PPP loan interest. Everything that I have read says the business credit card interest and the accrued PPP loan interest is added together and inputted on line 15. However, now the amount is now showing up on my K1 in box 20 with code N. When I filed taxes for the previous year, I put my business credit card interest on line 15 and it didn't show up in box 20 on my K1. Am I do this right? 

Any help would be really appreciated! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

yes the business interest goes on line 15 

look at line 22 of page 1 of the 1065 and then look at the total of net income reported on the k-1's lines 1. 2 or 3. they should be the same 

the line 20 amount has a special purpose - in computing any limitation on losses due to lack of tax basis.

Line 20 Code N. Business interest expense. For tax years beginning after November 12, 2020, the partnership will report your share of the partnership's deductible business interest expense for inclusion in the separate loss class for computing any basis limitation (defined in section 704(d), Regulations section 1.163(j)-6(h)). This information is necessary if your losses are limited under section 704(d). Deductible business interest expense is reported elsewhere on Schedule K-1 and the total amount is reported here for information only and was
already included as a deduction on another line of your Schedule K-1. Included in the code N information is a statement providing the allocation of the business interest expense already deducted by the partnership by line number on the Schedule K-1. The partner must remove the business interest expense deductions from these referenced lines when computing any basis limitation. Any excess business interest expense not deductible under section 163(j) will be included in box 13, code K, for inclusion in the basis limitation and is not reported here. See Worksheet for Adjusting the Basis of a Partner's Interest in the Partnership for additional information about computing the loss limitation.

Why are you accruing interest expense on a PPP loan?

Was the loan not forgiven?

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies