turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crombieva

I sold my sole proprietorship home soap business in 2017 and a friend bought out all my remaining supplies/inventory. How do I report this inventory sold in TurboTax?

The supplies I sold were what my friend would use in her own soapmaking business.  It was about $3,000 worth of supplies that I sold for about $700.00.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

I sold my sole proprietorship home soap business in 2017 and a friend bought out all my remaining supplies/inventory. How do I report this inventory sold in TurboTax?

Enter your ending inventory as $0 in TurboTax, this will write off the remaining inventory. Then you can report the $700 salvage as "Other income".  It goes on Line 6 of Part 1 Schedule C, between Gross Profit (Line 5) and Gross Income (Line 7). 

This is the easiest way to do it. As long as the $700 income is on there, the IRS doesn't care where you put it.  The end result is the same.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CathiM

Enter your ending inventory as $0 in TurboTax, this will write off the remaining inventory. Then you can report the $700 salvage as "Other income".  It goes on Line 6 of Part 1 Schedule C, between Gross Profit (Line 5) and Gross Income (Line 7). 

This is the easiest way to do it. As long as the $700 income is on there, the IRS doesn't care where you put it.  The end result is the same.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies