turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bythelane

Does the value of my inventory at the end of the year included shipping cost to receive that inventory?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Does the value of my inventory at the end of the year included shipping cost to receive that inventory?

Yes, it is the total cost you paid for the inventory.  Remember, if you include the shipping cost in inventory, you will not separately deduct it as an ordinary business expense.  Also, you will need to allocate the shipping cost to inventory as it is sold throughout the year to accurately account for the remaining inventory at the end of next year.

If I don't include the shipping cost in inventory, and do deduct it as an ordinary business expense I wouldn't have to account for it in the remaining inventory at the end of the year correct?  Would that be easier?

Yes.

@elizableuco 

That wouldn't be proper.  The cost of inventory includes the cost of shipping to you.  Thus it should be allocated to the purchased items and deducted as the items are sold.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies