Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mprlllee

Does S-Corp generate 1099-DIVs and send to IRS and shareholders?

Does S-Corp generate 1099-DIVs and send to IRS and shareholders when shareholders take distributions? I know S-Corp shareholders take distributions but not dividends and S-Corp sends shareholders K-1s. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

No, your S-Corp doesn't need to issue Form 1099-DIVs when shareholders take distributions.  Like you mentioned above, these distributions should be reported on each shareholder's K-1.

The distributions are not tax deductible to the S-Corp and they are not taxable income to the shareholders.  The distributions are a return of the shareholder's paid in capital and reduce their shareholder equity.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

No, your S-Corp doesn't need to issue Form 1099-DIVs when shareholders take distributions.  Like you mentioned above, these distributions should be reported on each shareholder's K-1.

The distributions are not tax deductible to the S-Corp and they are not taxable income to the shareholders.  The distributions are a return of the shareholder's paid in capital and reduce their shareholder equity.

mcarde12
Returning Member

Ok so if these distributions are not tax deductible to the S Corp, does this net profit get passed on to the shareholder as ordinary income? If so, what taxes are imposed on a personal level?  I was under the impression that the distributions are tax free to the shareholder.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The net profit does get passed through to the shareholders as ordinary income and it is taxed as income tax. It is not also taxed as self-employment.

The shareholder working in the business must be paid a reasonable salary. This would require social security and Medicare taxes to be withheld and paid, as well as federal and state income taxes to be withheld and paid throughout the year.

Distributions to shareholders that are equal or less than the shareholder's portion of net income plus the shareholder's contribution to the company would be tax free distributions.

The shareholder portion is reported on Schedule K-1 and included in the shareholder's individual income tax return. The wages earned are reported as earned income on Line 1 of Form 1040.

For more information about paying tax on S-Corp income for the shareholder, see: Where do I enter a K-1 that I received? and How do I import or enter my W-2?

@mcarde12

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies