turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anybody know what happened with our stimulus

I guy my first stimulus but was told due to a glitch my second payment was messed up
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Check the IRS web site.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If it says your information is not available, or it says your refund was deposited into an account you don't recognize, then you have to claim the credit on your tax return.  Due to the time pressure of opening tax filing season, the IRS will not issue replacement checks their first payment attempt fails or they don't have your correct information.  

More information:

Some customers who used refund transfer to pay their turbotax fees from their refunds are experiencing delays due to a mistake at the IRS. If you used refund transfer to have your fees deducted from your refund, that means your refund was sent to Turbotax's banking partner SBTPG, to open a temporary account in your name, receive the refund, subtract the fees, forward the rest of the money to your regular account, and close the temporary account.

That means that the IRS never had your real banking info, just the temporary closed account.  The IRS had a web site open through October where you could have updated your banking information.

The IRS should not try to make deposits into these closed accounts, because they know which banks provide this service.  During round 1, when the IRS mistakenly sent stimulus payments to SBTPG, SPTBG tried to match them to their customers and forward the money.  However for round 2, SBTPG is sending all payments back to the IRS for security reasons and to comply with banking laws. 

So if you used refund transfer to pay your fees, and if you never updated the IRS with your banking information, the IRS should recognize this fact and mail you a check or debit card.  If the IRS makes a mistake and tries to do a direct deposit, it will bounce, and you will need to claim the rebate on your tax return where it will be added to your refund. 

Turbotax does not have your refund, does not know if you are eligible, and has no way to verify your payment information for you. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Check the IRS web site.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If it says your information is not available, or it says your refund was deposited into an account you don't recognize, then you have to claim the credit on your tax return.  Due to the time pressure of opening tax filing season, the IRS will not issue replacement checks their first payment attempt fails or they don't have your correct information.  

More information:

Some customers who used refund transfer to pay their turbotax fees from their refunds are experiencing delays due to a mistake at the IRS. If you used refund transfer to have your fees deducted from your refund, that means your refund was sent to Turbotax's banking partner SBTPG, to open a temporary account in your name, receive the refund, subtract the fees, forward the rest of the money to your regular account, and close the temporary account.

That means that the IRS never had your real banking info, just the temporary closed account.  The IRS had a web site open through October where you could have updated your banking information.

The IRS should not try to make deposits into these closed accounts, because they know which banks provide this service.  During round 1, when the IRS mistakenly sent stimulus payments to SBTPG, SPTBG tried to match them to their customers and forward the money.  However for round 2, SBTPG is sending all payments back to the IRS for security reasons and to comply with banking laws. 

So if you used refund transfer to pay your fees, and if you never updated the IRS with your banking information, the IRS should recognize this fact and mail you a check or debit card.  If the IRS makes a mistake and tries to do a direct deposit, it will bounce, and you will need to claim the rebate on your tax return where it will be added to your refund. 

Turbotax does not have your refund, does not know if you are eligible, and has no way to verify your payment information for you. 

taftwill

I filed my 2019 taxes with Turbo Tax, however I didn't received the second round stimulus.  I called IRS and they told me that they have no record of filing 2019 taxes?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

At this point, you need to log into Turbo Tax with the login credentials you used to prepare your 2019 return. If you are filing for 2020, Look for a section in the program that says your tax returns and documents.  Click on year 2019 to view the status of your return and see if it was accepted. 

Remember in order for you to view your 2019 return, you will need the exact log in credentials you used in 2019 to view your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies