turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file tax return for a company showing active after final return?

Hello. I had an S Corp with my wife since 2016 in NY. When the pandemic started the business lost its client and there wasn't any activity. We filed a final tax return for 2020 but the Entity is still showing as active. We received a Response to Request for Consent to Dissolution of a Corporation from NT Taxation and Finance stating that we have not filed franchise tax return, and that we must also file returns for MTA surcharge (form CT-3M/4M - tax period ended 12/31/16) with a total of $0.

I am not sure what is is that they are requesting since we did not have any MTA surcharges.

Do we need to file business tax returns with IRS and/or with NY State if we already filed the final return in 2020 but the company is still showing active?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do I need to file tax return for a company showing active after final return?

I responded a few days ago with..

NY does their dissolution a little different than other states. You file your final return and then you receive a letter from NY where you must respond.  If you received that notice and responded, then you won't have to file again. It might still be active because of the failure file prior year forms.

Based on what you wrote, their correspondence is regarding a 2016 issue. You forgot to include form CT-3-M. You have to fill that out and mail it or go back to the tax program that you used to prepare the return and add it.

Did they mention the year the franchise tax return was missing? That would be CT-3-S.

The fact that your entity is still existing in NY is due to failed to file prior years and perhaps owing money. You would not have to file a 21 tax return. Make the amends they are asking for in the prior year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies