youngkb

Do I have to submit non-resident state tax returns for all states on a k-1 1065 partnership?

I have losses showing in box 1 for every state on my k-1. I understand that filing with each state is recommended for losses, but I have over 20 states listed with an amount. What is this going to cost me to produce all of these state forms? And is it really necessary? Also, if any state comes through with a gain, is there a minimum where we have to file? I have one state on another K-1 but the value in box 1 is just 1. Do I have to file with that state?

MichaelL1

Each state has it own requirements for the non-resident return.  With no income to those states, there would be no tax due.

Any state with positive income, I would check the non-resident filing requirements.  

Many large partnerships are withholding state taxes when there is income so the shareholder does not have to file, which is a great thing. 

MichaelL1

mmcline

@MichaelL1  - Is there any benefit to filing the returns for other States even if it is a loss so that in the year when the profit is made the loss could be carried over to offset taxes?

MarilynG1

That probably depends on the state and type of income/loss being reported.

Here's a link for State DORs.