turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to pay federal taxes on the money I have received for being a co-executor? If yes, which 1040 line or business schedule c line do I insert it?

Since I have been in the consulting business for 32 years and I have placed all my earnings in the Schedule C and think that my co-executor income should be handled the same way.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to pay federal taxes on the money I have received for being a co-executor? If yes, which 1040 line or business schedule c line do I insert it?

This is directly from Publication 559 from the IRS

"All personal representatives must include fees paid to them from an estate in their gross income. If you aren't in the trade or business of being an executor (for instance, you are the executor of a friend's or relative's estate), report these fees on your Form 1040, line 21. If you are in the trade or business of being an executor, report fees received from the estate as self-employment income on Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business; or Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit From Business, of your Form 1040."

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This is directly from Publication 559 from the IRS

"All personal representatives must include fees paid to them from an estate in their gross income. If you aren't in the trade or business of being an executor (for instance, you are the executor of a friend's or relative's estate), report these fees on your Form 1040, line 21. If you are in the trade or business of being an executor, report fees received from the estate as self-employment income on Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business; or Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit From Business, of your Form 1040."

Line 21 is the line number for years prior to 2018...I'm not sure what the new 1040 Line number for "other income" is for 2018 since they've changed all the forms.

2018 TY (2019 filing) SCHEDULE still line 21
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies