Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file CT-6 or CT-3-S for state of New York if I'm an S-corp with no employees?

I started my business in Oct 2017 & made 10,000 in revenue but my net loss was over -8,000. Not sure what forms i have to file for the state of new york or New york city.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DS30

Do I have to file CT-6 or CT-3-S for state of New York if I'm an S-corp with no employees?

It depends - If you are filing a Form 1120S for your S-Corp in 2017 for federal income tax purposes, then you would file CT-3-S  for NY There is no need to also make the election to file as an S-Corp  CT-6 (Fill-in), since your federal treatment will be your NY default treatment.

To be considered an S corp for NY, you need to file a CT-6 after you receive confirmation from the IRS and then you file a NY CT-3-S tax return.

Is there a way to file a CT-3-S via Turbo Tax?

The TurboTax Business Edition will complete a Form 1120S  and generate a Schedule K-1.  The Business Edition is a separate program from the TurboTax personal editions.  It will not complete a personal tax return, Form 1040.  The Business Edition can only be installed on a Windows based computer, not online or on a Mac.  Go to this TurboTax website for the Business Edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

TEDSHERMAN4
Returning Member

NY state is saying since I've starting using Turbo tax in 2016, I havent filed a CT - 3- S.

Rather annoying

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies