turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I allocate capital gains to the beneficiary while doing a Trust Return even if no distributions were made? Turbo tax asks how much of the gain to allocate.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I allocate capital gains to the beneficiary while doing a Trust Return even if no distributions were made? Turbo tax asks how much of the gain to allocate.

"Do I allocate capital gains to the beneficiary while doing a Trust Return even if no distributions were made?"

Generally you would not do that since capital gains remain with the trust as they are considered principal (corpus) of the trust; the trust retains them and pay any taxes due thereon.

Some trust instruments either mandate that gains be distributed or allow the trustee the discretion to do so. Thus, you have to read your trust instrument to determine if either of the foregoing are applicable (in which case, if you can allocate the gains to income and income is required to be distributed by the trust instrument, the gains are allocated to the beneficiary).

View solution in original post

2 Replies

"Do I allocate capital gains to the beneficiary while doing a Trust Return even if no distributions were made?"

Generally you would not do that since capital gains remain with the trust as they are considered principal (corpus) of the trust; the trust retains them and pay any taxes due thereon.

Some trust instruments either mandate that gains be distributed or allow the trustee the discretion to do so. Thus, you have to read your trust instrument to determine if either of the foregoing are applicable (in which case, if you can allocate the gains to income and income is required to be distributed by the trust instrument, the gains are allocated to the beneficiary).

Thank You!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies