Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Completing Employee Provided Assistance

Hi, in 2017 I received employee provided reimbursement for education. I don't believe that was included on my W-2. I have a 1098-T that only includes the amount billed to me. I have not been reimbursed fully for the amount billed to me (I completed one class and I am currently taking another and only get reimbursed when I complete the class with an acceptable grade), but only some of it. So I am wondering how much I enter for employee provided assistance? Do I only include the amount reimbursed to me in 2017?

1 Reply
New Member

Completing Employee Provided Assistance

Per the IRS, if your employer reimbursed $5250 or less, it's not taxable.

If you receive educational assistance benefits from your employer under an educational assistance program, you can exclude up to $5,250 of those benefits each year. This means your employer shouldn't include those benefits with your wages, tips, and other compensation shown on your Form W-2, box 1. This also means that you don't have to include the benefits on your income tax return.

You can't use any of the tax-free education expenses paid for by your employer as the basis for any other deduction or credit, including the American opportunity credit and lifetime learning credit.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings