kmrusso2

Completing Employee Provided Assistance

Hi, in 2017 I received employee provided reimbursement for education. I don't believe that was included on my W-2. I have a 1098-T that only includes the amount billed to me. I have not been reimbursed fully for the amount billed to me (I completed one class and I am currently taking another and only get reimbursed when I complete the class with an acceptable grade), but only some of it. So I am wondering how much I enter for employee provided assistance? Do I only include the amount reimbursed to me in 2017?

Karen1209

Completing Employee Provided Assistance

Per the IRS, if your employer reimbursed $5250 or less, it's not taxable.

If you receive educational assistance benefits from your employer under an educational assistance program, you can exclude up to $5,250 of those benefits each year. This means your employer shouldn't include those benefits with your wages, tips, and other compensation shown on your Form W-2, box 1. This also means that you don't have to include the benefits on your income tax return.

You can't use any of the tax-free education expenses paid for by your employer as the basis for any other deduction or credit, including the American opportunity credit and lifetime learning credit.