turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

passj
Returning Member

Are subcontractors COGS for a General Contractor?

We are a general contractor, and often hire other companies as subcontractors to complete portions of our projects. Are those expenses considered COGS on our return? It is technically a direct labor and materials cost to the project.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

No, it does not appear that the wages you pay the subcontractors would be included in cost of goods sold.  Cost of goods sold only includes the expenses that go into the production of a product or service you sell (e.g., wood, screws, paint, labor, etc.).  When calculating cost of goods sold, do not include the cost of creating products or services that you don’t sell. 

In your case, the project does not appear to be a product or service that you are selling.  Therefore, your subcontractor expenses would probably be characterized as general labor costs.  

@passj

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
passj
Returning Member

The project is a product/service though. As an example, if I am building a new structure, I hire a concrete company to do the foundation. They have a fixed contract for labor and materials that are directly incorporated into the project/new building.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

That would be considered a component of cost of goods sold in my opinion, as it is a direct cost of production. In other words, the cost is directly associated with a job as opposed to being an overhead expense like office wages.

There is a separate line for the cost of labor on a schedule C and corporate tax returns for the labor component of Cost of Goods Sold. It belongs there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would argue yes, they are.  If the intent of the general contractor is to construct a building and sell it, then the labor that he contracts to help construct the building would be included in COGS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies