turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-K and schedule C

I got a 1099-K from paypal for a side gig. No business name. I filled in the 1099-K info on turbo tax. When I get to the end of my return it tells me all the forms that need to be submitted before I can file. One of them is the schedule C is not ready. How can  that happen if the schedule C is part of my return? Do I have to submit a schedule C somewhere else prior to my return? It's not really a business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-K and schedule C

Correct. Many forms are not yet available for filing. Be patient. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

1099-K and schedule C

The IRS considers an activity engaged for profit to be a business.  So you will have to complete Sch C where you can also deduct any expenses related to that income. You will also owe self employment tax if you earned more than $400. 

1099-K and schedule C

Understand that, but it seems like I can't file my return until I file a schedule C which is part of my return. That's where I'm confused.

1099-K and schedule C

No problem. Just wait until the program is updated to include that Schedule.  The IRS will not process returns until January 27 anyway. 

1099-K and schedule C

The program needs to be updated? Like turbo tax? I'm sorry I'm just trying to get clarification, so there's nothing I need to do, I just need to wait for turbo tax needs to update?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

1099-K and schedule C

Because you received a 1099-K, this is considered a Business and filing a Schedule C is required.  The good news is that you can claim Expenses against the income reported on your 1099-K.

Type 'schedule c' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to schedule c' to make your entries.

Click the link for more detailed info on  Reporting Business Income and Expenses.

Depending on what type of items you sold, you may want to look at the 'Cost of Goods Sold' section. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-K and schedule C

Correct. Many forms are not yet available for filing. Be patient. 

1099-K and schedule C

I need a Schedule C.  How do I get it to use with Turbo Tax

1099-K and schedule C

I started filling out the information for the form.  I had to quit. I would like to get back where I was.  Did I lose everything?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

1099-K and schedule C

TurboTax saves as you go.  To get back to the self-employment area, click "Income & Expenses" at the top of the page and scroll down to "Self-employment Income and Expenses" and click "Edit/add" or "Review" as applicable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies