turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taylbenn

Hello! I need to file a tax amendment, but since my last filing, I have gotten married and legally changed my last name. Will this have an impact on filing an amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello! I need to file a tax amendment, but since my last filing, I have gotten married and legally changed my last name. Will this have an impact on filing an amendment?

Nope ... if you were unmarried that year and had filed a single return and are now amending it simply change your name on the amended return so it matches what is currently on your SS card and the address if it is different and mail in the return. 

taylbenn

Thank you for your help! Do I change my married status on the amendment as well? Or leave it as "single"?

You keep the filing status the same as it was when you filed the original return if you were single for the tax year the return was for.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies