Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

regisgr

I ammended my tax return, but have not received another notice. Does it need more time? Am I suppose to receive a 1040x?

The IRS has withheld my tax refund ($553) for this year . Is that going to change after the ammended 1040x?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I ammended my tax return, but have not received another notice. Does it need more time? Am I suppose to receive a 1040x?

You don't receive a Form 1040X. Form 1040X is the amended return form that you send to the IRS to make changes to a tax return that you already filed. An amended return (Form 1040X) cannot be e-filed. You have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail. If you didn't mail your Form 1040X, you didn't amend your tax return.

The normal processing time for a Form 1040X amended return is up to 16 weeks from when the IRS receives it. You will not get any notice, or hear anything from the IRS, until they have finished processing your amended return. Starting about 3 weeks after you mailed it you can check the status at the following link on the IRS web site.

http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2018 tax return that you filed with TurboTax Online.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4667226-how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return

If the IRS took your refund to apply to a debt that you owe, your amended return will not change the amount that has already been taken. What happens with your amended return depends on whether the amended return gives you an additional refund, or shows that you have to pay back some of the original refund. If your amended return shows an additional refund, they will probably take that, too, unless your debt has now been fully paid. If your amended return shows a payment due, you have to pay it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You don't receive a Form 1040X. Form 1040X is the amended return form that you send to the IRS to make changes to a tax return that you already filed. An amended return (Form 1040X) cannot be e-filed. You have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail. If you didn't mail your Form 1040X, you didn't amend your tax return.

The normal processing time for a Form 1040X amended return is up to 16 weeks from when the IRS receives it. You will not get any notice, or hear anything from the IRS, until they have finished processing your amended return. Starting about 3 weeks after you mailed it you can check the status at the following link on the IRS web site.

http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2018 tax return that you filed with TurboTax Online.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4667226-how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return

If the IRS took your refund to apply to a debt that you owe, your amended return will not change the amount that has already been taken. What happens with your amended return depends on whether the amended return gives you an additional refund, or shows that you have to pay back some of the original refund. If your amended return shows an additional refund, they will probably take that, too, unless your debt has now been fully paid. If your amended return shows a payment due, you have to pay it.

I need to know what the status of my tax year 2020 Form 1040-SR that was completed by Turbo Tax on line process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies