turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsraby1

There is a major error in my income. How do I correct it after I’ve paid but before I’ve filed? Turbo Tax won't let me go back to my income and correct it.

When I went back and changed my income, Turbo Tax did not recompute. It must still use the old incorrect data since the refund amount didn't change.

The previous answer from TurboTaxLakehal0 didn't work.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

There is a major error in my income. How do I correct it after I’ve paid but before I’ve filed? Turbo Tax won't let me go back to my income and correct it.

You can change anything on your tax return before it is filed.  Just go back to the section of the program that needs to be corrected.
LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

You can make changes to your tax return in TurboTax as long as you have not filed(e-filed or mailed) your taxes

If you chose the file by mail and will like to switch back to e-file you can do that as long as you have not e-filed or place your return in the mail.

If you don't see Tax Tools, scroll to the bottom of the Home page, click Add a State(you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right menu), and then over to the left you should see Tax Tools. From there you should be able to navigate between different sections to make changes. To makes changes to your income or to add a W2, 1099misc, etc..., just visit the Federal section. To make changes to your birthdate, name, SSN, address, etc..., just visit the My info section. To make changes to your State tax return, just visit the State section. To make changes to your refund method, visit the File tab on Step 2. To pay your TurboTax fees, visit the File tab on Step 1.  When you are ready to file your taxes, select the File tab, and navigate to Step 3, from there you can choose between the e-file or file by mail option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies