turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you add a note to your tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You can add a note but you would have to print and mail your tax return.

The IRS is very specific as to electronically submitted explanations and a "regular" note is not something they allow for electronic filing, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You can add a note but you would have to print and mail your tax return.

The IRS is very specific as to electronically submitted explanations and a "regular" note is not something they allow for electronic filing, unfortunately.

mresman

TaxAct seems to be able to do it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not use IRS form 8275 Part II?  It seems designed for "Detailed Explanation".  Instructions say it is "used by taxpayers and tax return preparers to disclose items or positions... that are not otherwise adequately disclosed on a tax return ... to avoid ... accuracy-related penalty ... "

So the answer is, filers GIVE UP the number 1 advantage of using TT - because they want to be “clear” and provide the IRS with additional details??   And if your return is 100’s of pages long?  Go to Kinko’s and kill trees?

once again - nonsensical.   

Is this still true?

I mean TT, allegedly the best...  (And I do believe that)...  Can't support a form that other tax applications can?

You do realize some states REQUIRE e-filing?!

@JP106 Your question is posted to an old thread that has had no activity for at least a couple of years.  What are you trying to do?    What form are you having an issue with?   What state are you referring to?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm dealing with a situation I posted in the 'investments' area...

In which I believe I have an erroneous 1099 item which is showing a very incorrect proceeds amount from a covered transaction.  I am attempting to get it corrected by the brokerage but it is questionable whether they will do so as it is a complicated situation. 

I MAY be wrong, but at this point I'm thinking the 1099 is wrong - and if I determine it is and my broker disagrees with me, I would be looking for some way to communicate to the IRS that the proceeds number on my 1099 was incorrect (and hence why I changed the proceeds amount on that specific transaction)

And I live in NY - which 'requires' e-filing, although I'm pretty sure there are exceptions allowed.  Clearly the right path is to get the 1099 corrected but I worry that if I determine I am correct, that still the broker may not be cooperative.

Watch your other thread for information about the 1099 you are concerned about.   As for e-filing in New York:

NEW YORK

New York prefers e-filed returns, but there are certain circumstances that make it necessary for you to file your NY return by mail and the state DOES allow mailed returns.    If you could not or did not e-file your federal return then your NY return cannot be e-filed.   It has to be mailed.   It is not possible to e-file any state return if the federal return was not e-filed and accepted by the IRS.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies