Can I change the payment date for my taxes?

I'm pretty sure that I set the date of paying my taxes as the last possible date available, but I would like to change it to sooner than that. Is there a way to edit my payment date?

You are unable to change your payment date in Turbo Tax once you filed your return and it has been accepted but you can cancel it and then make other payment arrangements with the IRS. 

Federal Tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 48 hours (midnight, Eastern time) before the date you designated the funds to be debited. To cancel your direct debit transaction, call (888) 353-4537.But please wait 7-10 days after your return was accepted before calling.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal#errors

State : For your State direct debit payment you would need to contact your State directly to see if you can change the date or cancel the transaction. Each state is different you can find the contact information for your State by using this link to find the contact information for your State:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

The link for state issues is a dead end. Is there an updated URL?

@sulgi Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for your state's contact information:  How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? - Community

I filed already with a payment date of April 15.  Can I change it to July 15 without sending in a paper copY?

@ggalamba The federal tax payments deadline has also been extended until July 15, 2020.

Please see the information below, per the IRS:

The Secretary of Treasury announced via Twitter that, at the direction of the President, they will extend the federal tax filing deadline to July 15, 2020. State deadlines may vary, click here to see state-by-state updates.  
How do I know if I qualify for the extended payment deadline?  According to the Secretary of Treasury, anyone with a Federal Tax Payment related to their 2019 taxes and their tax year 2020 estimated tax payments due 4/15/20 can defer their tax payment, free of penalties and interest for 90 days for purposes of the relief.

For more information, please see the link below:

Is the Tax Deadline Delayed? What to Know About Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Your Taxes

Your trusted resource for tax information updates during COVID-19 

Edit 03/24/2020 2:39 PM

Hi,

i am trying to change the date of my direct debit for California state taxes. Return was filed and accepted via TurboTax ~2 weeks ago. 

i have tried to call and chat with California Franchise Tax Board ~25 times. They are not accepting phone calls at all and not even taking chat sessions. They are so backlogged there is literally no way to get in touch with them. They do not have an email address anywhere that i can find. 

Is there anything else that can be done to change a direct debit date that is still 10 days away? seems like if you filed early you get penalized and cannot change the debit date without an act of god.

any help is appreciated 

thanks 

Unfortunately, you cannot change this within Turbo Tax and the only way to change the payment date for your State direct debit payment you would need to contact your State directly to see if you can change the date or cancel the transaction. Each state is different you can find the contact information for your State by using this link to find the contact information for your State:
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/state-taxes/state-issues/1274.html

I efiled and owe the Federal.  I set a date of April 5 for an automatic payment.  Can I extend that and how do I do it?

@Capt Bud47 Yes, within 7-10 business days of the IRS accepting your return, you can cancel it and then make other payment arrangements with the IRS.
Federal Tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 48 hours (midnight, Eastern time) before the date you designated the funds to be debited. To cancel your direct debit transaction, please click this link for the phone number: Cancellations, Errors and Questions: But please wait 7-10 days after your return was accepted before calling. 

Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal

State : For your State direct debit payment you would need to contact your State directly to see if you can change the date or cancel the transaction. Each state is different you can find the contact information for your State by using this link to find the contact information for your State: How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

Please also see the links below:

I just called the Arizona Department of Revenue, and they said my payment date for my state taxes has to be changed with TurboTax, not through them (AZ Dept of Revenue).

Please see the following answer from CHAMP Bluedeb about changing direct debit payments for Federal or State taxes.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/can-i-change-the-direct-debit-date-for-r...

I am in the same boat.  I have sent Turbo Tax several email messages and get no answer.  Cancelling my return and refiling will result is a new fee from Turbo Tax, so that is not an option.   Seems like there should be a way to change the date owed from April 15th to July 15th.  No luck getting ahold of anyone with the FTB.  Another example of those who follow the rules and file on time, to be penalized.

You can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted but you can cancel the payment and make other payment arrangements with the IRS.

How do I change my payment date? - Community