turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does it matter that I edited my return then amended it?

I needed to amend my return to add documents that I had forgotten. The amended page wasn't available on turbo tax yet so I figured I would edit it awhile to get it ready. When I amend online it says it can't detect changes even though my federal refund changed to the correct difference between the original accepted return and what I should actually be getting back. Will I still get what I am owed if this is explained on the amended return reason?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Remove every change you made to the original tax return that was filed.  Wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes owed and paid to be processed.

Then you must go through the Amend Process to amend the tax return.  The federal amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS takes 3 to 4 months to process an amended tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Remove every change you made to the original tax return that was filed.  Wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes owed and paid to be processed.

Then you must go through the Amend Process to amend the tax return.  The federal amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS takes 3 to 4 months to process an amended tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

while you're at it, you will have to remove the 1040X that does not properly reflect all the changes you want to make.

So just to clarify I must wait until I get my already accepted return back?
And can you tell me how to remove all of the changes I have made?

Yes, you need to wait for the refund before starting the Amend process.
See this TurboTax support FAQ for undoing an amended tax return using the online editions - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...>

You are seriously a life saver!!! Thank you so much. I literally know nothing about filing taxes and such things like that. Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies