turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kalayna

Why am i not getting my full refund amount of taxes I paid back?

I've only made 12k this year and they are taking $500 out of my refund amount. why? Im 20 years old, supporting myself, i live alone.

my mom claimed me on her taxes, is that why?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that would be the reason.  When you are single and not being claimed as a dependent, the IRS allows you to deduct a standard deduction of $6,300 and a personal exemption of $4,050 from your income.  So, if you made about $12,000 then the first $10,350 of your income would not be taxed at all.  When you are claimed as a dependent, your personal exemption goes to the person that is claiming you.  So, now you would only get to deduct $6,300 from your $12,000, meaning you are paying tax on almost $6,000 of income now, which is why you are receiving less of your withholding back (because it is being used to pay this tax).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, that would be the reason.  When you are single and not being claimed as a dependent, the IRS allows you to deduct a standard deduction of $6,300 and a personal exemption of $4,050 from your income.  So, if you made about $12,000 then the first $10,350 of your income would not be taxed at all.  When you are claimed as a dependent, your personal exemption goes to the person that is claiming you.  So, now you would only get to deduct $6,300 from your $12,000, meaning you are paying tax on almost $6,000 of income now, which is why you are receiving less of your withholding back (because it is being used to pay this tax).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies