turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My account number and routing numbers correct, but I select savings instead of checking. Will this error affect my direct deposit?

My account number and routing numbers correct, but I select savings instead of checking.  Will this error affect my direct deposit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My account number and routing numbers correct, but I select savings instead of checking. Will this error affect my direct deposit?

Yes, it could affect your deposit.  When the deposit comes to the bank it may look specifically for a checking account and if not found, it may be sent back to the IRS.  If this happens they will convert it to a paper check and mail it to your address on the tax return.

• Note:  You could contact your bank to ask if they have the capability to flag the deposit when it comes in so that it can be placed in the checking account. 

The IRS will not accept changes once the return has been filed and accepted.  If your return does get rejected for some reason you can make the change at that time before you resubmit the return a second time. Use these steps if this applies to you:

To access or change your banking information in TurboTax Online you would go to the File section:

• Select File in the upper right of the screen
  • Select  the "Revisit" button next to "Your Refund Info"
  • Answer the interview questions
  • You will arrive at a screen asking for your bank account information

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, it could affect your deposit.  When the deposit comes to the bank it may look specifically for a checking account and if not found, it may be sent back to the IRS.  If this happens they will convert it to a paper check and mail it to your address on the tax return.

• Note:  You could contact your bank to ask if they have the capability to flag the deposit when it comes in so that it can be placed in the checking account. 

The IRS will not accept changes once the return has been filed and accepted.  If your return does get rejected for some reason you can make the change at that time before you resubmit the return a second time. Use these steps if this applies to you:

To access or change your banking information in TurboTax Online you would go to the File section:

• Select File in the upper right of the screen
  • Select  the "Revisit" button next to "Your Refund Info"
  • Answer the interview questions
  • You will arrive at a screen asking for your bank account information
mesha663
Returning Member

@DianeW  No i couldnt because i have BOFA and i called and told them that i put my saving aacount number on my tax return and that i clicked checking instead of saving qnd asked if my tax refund still going to go to my account and they said yes as long as the account numbers are correct and in my.name.i will.still get.my.return.

Did BOFA still deposit your money?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies