Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I filed (and mailed) an amended return (for 2018), will the updated information from the amended return transfer to my next year (2019) return? (Using TTO)

Will the new amended information transfer when I go to do my 2019 taxes?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I filed (and mailed) an amended return (for 2018), will the updated information from the amended return transfer to my next year (2019) return? (Using TTO)

Yes, if you prepare your 2019 tax return using the same TurboTax Online account that you used for the amended 2018 return, the amended information will transfer from your 2018 amended return to your 2019 return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, if you prepare your 2019 tax return using the same TurboTax Online account that you used for the amended 2018 return, the amended information will transfer from your 2018 amended return to your 2019 return.

What if I used Turbo Tax, but not online?

If you used the Desktop Turbo Tax program you should transfer from the Amended 2018 return.  

Fes 1

What if I already transferred my 2018 original data  to do my 2019 taxes before I amended 2018

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you transferred your 2018 data to your 2019 tax program before you prepared your 2018 amended return you did not transfer the amended data.  You will have to delete the 2018 data imported into your 2019 program and then import your 2018 data into your 2019 program to have your amended return data imported.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1taxpayer

What if I already filed my 2019 return and have not yet amended my 2018 return, but plan to? I do not think that the change to itemized deductions that I am making in the amendment will affect my 2019 taxes, but should only affect the history and comparison information on forms generated "For your records" in 2019 and going forward. Is it possible to have that updated for my records going forward?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The only way to have the updated info transfer going forward, would be to amend the 2018 return, and then re-do the 2019 return after transferring the amended data from 2018.

However, if the 2019 return is correct, you probably don't need the amended information from 2018, so I suggest you leave the 2019 return alone.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies