Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MENW7721
Returning Member

Wisconsin Extension of Time to File

I extended my US return by making an extension payment electronically, per the following from Form 4868 instructions:

You don’t need to file Form 4868 if you make a payment using our electronic payment options. The IRS will automatically process an extension of time to file when you pay part or all of your estimated income tax electronically.

Wisconsin accepts US extensions, but wants a copy of Form 4868 (none exists), or a statement that you are using the US automatic 6 month extension.  I checked the box in the Wisconsin input that says I have a US extension, but I see nothing in the filing forms that is the statement Wisconsin requires.  I also see no way to add a statement to the WI return.  If I paper file Wisconsin, I could create a statement and include it, but I find it hard to believe that is what Intuit intends.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The Form 4868 extension request will be included in the PDF download if you used the TurboTax e-file for the extension.

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Start the 2022 online tax return by entering some personal information then click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen.

On the Tax Home webpage -

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

MENW7721
Returning Member

This reply has nothing to do with my question!

If you did not file an extension and none is in the .taxfile when you access it  then you would need to provide the state a statement per the state extension  regulations.  If one is needed you will need to mail the return.  Personally I would simply file the return and if you get a notice you can respond at that time with a statement. 

As per your original post, you paid with your request for an extension.

That amount should appear on Schedule 3 Line 10.

A non-zero amount demonstrates that you requested a federal  extension.

( I'm assuming TurboTax attaches federal return if you e-File Wisconsin return ).

However, the WI instructions still ask for a confirming  statement with statement of intent.

@MENW7721 

Do you have to send a copy of your federal tax return with your state return in Wisconsin?
You will need an electronic copy of your complete federal income tax return and any other attachments. If you used software to file your federal income tax return, you should have had the option to save it in an electronic format.

So the federal return will show the extension payment which confirms the fed extention was technically filed ... again I would just efile the state return and respond to any notice later if you ever get one. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies