cgeorge

Will it affect my taxes, I accidentally put my husband down as the injured spouse instead of myself, what can I do?

KatherineC

You will need to change the information for the Injured Spouse form.  Have you already e-filed your return?

What you do now depends on whether or not your e-file is accepted .

If your e-file is accepted, you will need to amend your return.  However, before you start amending, you need to.  make sure your refund/balance due amounts match the amounts from your e-filed return.

Please click here for instructions on how to amend your return.  The instructions and forms aren't ready right now but should be ready in the next 2 or 3 weeks.  You can go to the link to check.  When they are ready the year 2017 will be in blue ink. 

The tax calculator on Turbo Tax resets to zero when you start the amendment process.  So, once you start the amended return, make your changes, any amount showing in the tax calculator is the amount of additional refund or taxes due.  You shouldn't have any refund or tax due if all you are amending is Form 8379.

You should wait until you have received your original refund, if you are expecting one, before mailing your amended return.

If your e-file is rejected, you can simply go back in, change the information in the Injured Spouse form,  fix the rejection error, then refile your return.

KatherineC

cgeorge

Yes it was accepted already
KatherineC

Wait until you have received a refund (if any is expected) then click on the link above for instructions on how to amend.  You will need to amend your return.
cgeorge

I figured they would have rejected it with the wrong person down but they haven't
KatherineC

It's too early for that to have happened!  The IRS is just officially processing e-files starting tomorrow.
cgeorge

Oh Okay
Stacey84

You can actually just send another injured spouse form .You do not need to amend your taxes .