Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Torrie7707
Returning Member

Why was the amount I received different than what was filed on turbotax?

I filed my taxes on turbotax the same way I do every year. The great part is they save important information such as social, names, address, etc. for when you file the next year to make it easier on you. I received a notice after over 21 day wait that my refund was adjusted dramatically due to incorrect information such as social, name, or age of claimed dependent. However, I double checked all my info and none of that had changed since the previous year. I'm wanting to know what happened to the remainder of our refund and why did it say there was an issue when none of the personal information other than basic w2 had changed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Torrie7707
Returning Member

It states they changed the amount claimed as Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return. The error was in one or more of the following:

• The Social Security number of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent was missing or incomplete.
  • The last name of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent does not match our records.
  • One or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent exceeds the age limit.
  • Your adjusted gross income exceeds $75,000 ($150,000 if married filing jointly, $112,500 if head of household).
  • The amount was computed incorrectly.

However, none of the details of my daughter have changed and I double checked what I filed and it's the same as last year. 

Torrie7707
Returning Member

I'm very confused why the information that stays the same on each filing is the issue that my amount given has been short-changed compared to what I stated on TurboTax. I cross-referenced the past three years I've filed with them, and everything was the same. I also put in the child tax credit amount I received via the IRS bill. I know many people are being short-changed on their tax returns. 

If your refund is short $1,400 times the number of people on your tax return then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

That is just the list of generic reasons they give if they changed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.  How much is on 1040 line 30?

Did you not get the 3rd Stimulus payment?
  Or qualify for more?  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more.  The IRS shows they already sent it to you.

tuboslow
Returning Member

Why is Turbo Tax calculating it incorrectly?

@tuboslow wrote:

Why is Turbo Tax calculating it incorrectly?

Would care to be a little more specific?  Calculating what incorrectly?  And why do you think it is incorrect?

tuboslow
Returning Member

If you are married filing jointly you need to add the two amounts from Letter 6475 for the return amount to be accurate.

Yes, each spouse should get a letter 6475 for half.  So you need to enter the total you received on the Stimulus payment question.   It needs to know how much you got so it doesn't give it to you again.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. 

Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account (both accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies