Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was I charged $45 for "TurboTax Premium Service"? Did they force Audit Defense on me?

I purchased my copy of Turbo Tax Deluxe at Costco if that changes anything. Before I submitted it said something like "File with Audit Defense for $45" but I did not click that button, I clicked on the only other button to advance me to the next page. Yet at the end I get this vague $45 fee for Premium. I restarted the program several times and restarted the process with no idea how to remove this fee. I guess I'll use H&R Block next year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Why was I charged $45 for "TurboTax Premium Service"? Did they force Audit Defense on me?

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

You appear to be posting from online software instead of the desktop CD/download software that the license code is for.  If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Are you a bot? I used the software license that came with my box. I downloaded and ran the software on my computer. I only went to the website to make this post. I'm probably charged the $45 because you did a good job on hiding the information, because there is no way taking money out of my return costs you $45.

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

You are in California, right?  You selected to have the $20 or 25 state efile deducted from your federal refund.  There is an EXTRA $40(45 in CA) Refund Processing Service charge for that.  In California you have to add on Premium for $45.  You have to be careful what you click on when you file, go slowly. There is one screen that can trip you up. People get going to fast and click the bottom right button to continue. But to pay by credit card you need to check the Left button.

In California Desktop program to remove Audit Defense and Premium Services you have to change to pay the $20 or $25 state efile fee by credit card and not by having it deducted from your federal refund. Or print and mail state for free. Go back through the File tab again and change to pay with a credit card. Then if Audit Defense is still there you can remove it.  See this screen shot,

Pay with Refund TTD.JPG

TH100

Volvogirls response is perfect :  to avoid a usurous surcharge make sure you PAY BY CREDIT CARD DO NOT PAY OUT OF YOUR REFUND to avoid $45 TTAX surcharge

I have used TTAX for almost as long as its been available so I am not a TTax hater, but they way the interview is currently setup is extremely misleading so you are likely to be tricked into paying this large surcharge.

TTax needs to be completely upfront about the extra charges so people can make an informed decision. The original poster who asked about this is a perfect example of how somebody was misled into paying extra.

Currently the very misleading wording in the program has a line at the end of the section offering paying out of refund  (see above picture) saying "Must efile Federal Return , $45 Refund processing fee service applies"

Its not clear if this applies to a normal user: is a normal user a "must efile user" ??

To be unambiguous it should say  something direct like " We charge an additional processing fee of $45 for this payment option."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies