turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tiaxx24

Why is the IRS having me wait 9 weeks for me to get my refund and then wait another 21 days to get it? It's not fair I'm a single mom I have Bill's to pay

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why is the IRS having me wait 9 weeks for me to get my refund and then wait another 21 days to get it? It's not fair I'm a single mom I have Bill's to pay

Only the IRS will know what all they are doing with your return.   It sounds like you may have had to go through the ID verification process, but that's just a guess.   You'll have to discuss it with them to see if you can learn anything.  I'll tell you how to reach a live IRS agent.  I'll also leave info on how to seek help from the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service if you are having a hardship.

IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

• Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.
I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you don't get good info from the IRS or are having a hardship, you could consider contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate for your area.  At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies