Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is IRS taking money even though I paid it off?

I owed $1141 for 2021. I paid it off. They cashed my check as my bank statement shows. Just received my 2022 returns and they're taking money for 2021! I was supposed to get back $706 from the Feds this year. It says they took $708 and I still owe IRS $508.

First of all, I already paid it off!

Second of all, if I owed them $1141, 1141-708 is not $508. I shouldn't even have a remaining balance but even the false outstanding balance is incorrect! 

What do I do! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your Online account with IRS at IRS.gov will tell you what happened to your  $1,141 payment.

You can then point that out to an IRS rep on the phone.

@Tommyleedoggy 

Timing is everything ... when you filed and when you made the payoff  will be the key.  Be aware that the IRS is a very large machine and the office that marks the account as paid, the time it takes for the debt indicator to be removed and/or any more penalties/interest are calculated up to the date of payment and the offices that process the return to issue the refund may not get the update timely.   Eventually the IRS will figure out that they withheld too much of the refund and after any more interest/penalties were applied they will refund the excess ...note that this may take a few weeks to happen and there is really nothing you can do to speed things up. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies